CANADA BODYBUILDING - CANADIAN BODYBUILDING FORUM
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Logbook

Canadian Bodybuilding Champ

Well...I did some more reading today. Instead of leading me further astray I think what I'm going to try and focus on is fairly basic. The difficulty I'm having with program design is that I want to ultimately get much stronger but I still also have an interest in bodybuilding. Now of course size and strength go hand in hand but the biggest are not the strongest and the strongest are not the biggest so specificity of training is hugely important.

I've realized that what I have setup now is a little too diluted when it comes to some isolation exercises. However I do think I still need to keep some and I won't be doing farmers walk or fat bar deadlifts...at least not right now...so I need to find a middle ground.

I want to incorporate heavy high rep sets and triples for squats, deads, bench and mil press. I like the exercises I've choosen for legs/back so I'll keep those.

The days will be setup like this (reps for last set indicated)
    Squat 20, Mil 3, DL 3, Bench 10, Squat 3, Mil 10, DL 10, Bench 3 (then Squat 20)

Standing Military Press
    Flat Dumbbell Press
    Rolling EZ Bar Tricep Ext.
    EZ Bar Curl
    Dumbbell Laterals
    Dips
    Standing Calf Raise

Barbell Bench Press
    Seated Dumbbell Press
    Rolling DB Tricep Ext.
    Seated Dumbbell Curl
    Dumbbell Laterals
    Dips
    Standing Calf Raise

I think for dips I want to aim for 20 total reps done with as little rest as possible. Once I get stronger I'll have to buy a dip belt. I would have liked to incorporate biceps into a pulling exercise but I can't because I've split back and biceps.
    Last edited by O-Train; 10-12-2010 at 02:05 AM.
    War only has rules for the loser.

Had an ok workout today, just glad I went. 20 rep squats won't work for me w/ a low bar placement. My wrists gave out before my legs did and my belt was too tight which constricted my breathing. I'll go heavier and shoot for 10 reps like the other exercises. I think I need to wear pants when doing barbell hack squats because the barbell kept getting stuck on my hamstrings. I figure it will slide better with pants instead of shorts. Wanted to do stiff leg deadlifts but my back just wasn't having it and my form would have been garbage so I did uni hamtring curls instead.

Back Squat 135x5 225x3 250x13+4
    Stiff Leg Deadlift 135x6 Uni Leg Curl 110x6 120x4 120x4+110x1
    Barbell Hack Squat 135x5 225x2 225x2 + Machine Hack Squat 90x20
    Pronated Pendlay Rows 135x5 205x5 185x8
    Cable Long Rows 12pl x10 12pl x7
    Face Pulls 10pl x10 12pl x10
    War only has rules for the loser.

Apparently today is the most depressed day of the year. So everyone should go to the gym, it will make you feel better. I've been dealing with depression/anxiety and not training makes it a lot worse. Last week I decided just to get to the gym and not worry about exactly what I would do or plan everything out. Strength is down but it's good just to focus on lifting again.

Last workout was squats and calve raises. Today I just did bench press, chinups and lateral raises. Trying to not get caught up in doing too much or too many exercises, just get to the gym and focus mainly on compound lifts with a couple accessories.

Setup the power rack so that with an arch I could still touch but if I failed the bar rested on the pins and I could get out. Worked really well and I had a lot of confidence pushing myself to failure.

Hopefully my lifts will rebound quickly. Squat is 315x2 below parallel and bench today was 225x2.

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

seem's like you're right, but tomorrow will be a better day

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

Wanted to train yesterday but going today worked out well. Still just getting back into things so my recovery times are longer than normal. Did deadlift today and finished off with some hack squats and standing calve raises. Still keeping things simple. Strength seems to be fairly good right now. My heavy sets were 365x3, 385x3, 365x2. I've decided to skip over the really light stuff for warming up because I couldn't figure out a point to doing it. For my warm up I did 225x2 275x2 315x1 which worked fine and I still felt fresh for my heavier sets.

Amateur

Are you doing your hacksquats in a machine or with barbell?

Quote Originally Posted by bcaamuscle View Post
    Are you doing your hacksquats in a machine or with barbell?
    Both, but today I used a machine. Technique on barbell hack squats still isn't great.

Wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by O-Train View Post
    Today I just did bench press, chinups and lateral raises. Trying to not get caught up in doing too much or too many exercises, just get to the gym and focus mainly on compound lifts with a couple accessories.
    Good plan. No point in over complicating things some times. Just get in and get it done.

Subbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawd View Post
    Good plan. No point in over complicating things some times. Just get in and get it done.

Subbed.
    Exactly.

Today was barbell shoulder press and finished with push press. Then did some flat dumbbell chest press and chin ups. Workout was quick and felt good.

Squats are starting to improve. I start training for work in Toronto next week so I'll probably only have a chance to lift on weekends for the next 2 weeks. I think after that I'm going to transfer my membership so that my home gym is in Mississauga. I could get a Universal Goodlife membership but that costs 28 bi-weekly which I think is too much. Even though my new employer has a fitness subsidy I'm still too cheap to spend a lot on a gym membership.

With everything I've been hearing about the 401 I don't want to get stuck in rush hour. Plan is to get up early and train in the morning at a gym close to work. It will work out well with traffic and I think if I trained after work it would end up going too late into the evening. What I want to do is go mon-fri with lifting on mon,wed,fri and do cardio and flexibility on tues and thurs. Should work well I hope and I'll get to spend more time w/ my family in the evening.

Today was Squats, face pulls and calf raises. Squat was 315x4 for two sets. Still not great but I was driving with my hips a lot better today so it felt pretty good.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast