CANADA BODYBUILDING - CANADIAN BODYBUILDING FORUM
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Amateur

Had a good day again, i am trying very hard to consistently destroy myself at the gym, ran into some issues with rep #2 of 185 lbs on the incline bench, thank god a guy walking by noticed and saved me pheww i really need a spotter! Spent quite a bit of time on the low row, work mainly on one hand with my other hand behind my back doing 50-70 lbs. Visited my supplement supplier today, and got talking and i mentioned I was having issues sleeping the night after the gym due to 1MR it just keeps me wire for hours and i tend to spend a few hours listening to music before i pass out, and he recommended some stuff, not sure what the brand was but it was called PM and its designed to build muscles while you are sleeping and knock you out? anyone have any experience with it or suggestions? i like the idea of it but he was sold out and will be getting it in soon.

So i will be moving out march 1st and i was wondering about a chin up bar, are the ones you see that hang in door frames good? i am a short guy so i don't need a lot of room, and other then my exercise ball its the only piece of equipment i would like to have in my place. They have the "as seen on tv" one on sale at walmart for like $25 or so.

I had quite the conversation with my father today about my mothers health and work out plans, she's been talking about it for years and it just felt SO good to be brutally honest with him and really try to motivate him to jump start the entire thing. It helps that i am moving out, the worst he can do it say "your lucky your moving out" which he has =D haha
    Last edited by TopHatPlus; 11-01-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Wannabe

Good stuff! But watch you don't get into that cycle of taking stuff to get you going and then having to take something else to bring you down. It happens and you can get quite wired, especially when your body is doing certain things (such as leaning out for a contest), but it can become a viscious cycle and isn't healthy. Can you lower the dose of 1MR a bit so you're not quite so jacked?

It's still a "drug" (herb), and it works for me better than prescription sleeping pills, but the Organic Nighty Night tea (Traditional Medicinals) is a powerful sleep aid if brewed/steeped as directed (for fifteen minutes). You can get it at Superstore/Loblaws. This stuff works for me and my 240 lb. BF, even when we are prepping.

Amateur

Good point, i don't have to many issues with the 1MR it keeps up a little at night but when i wake up in the morning i am still wired, i don't usually have a crash till 3-4 in the afternoon so i am almost done work for the day. And i do agree with the ups and downs it seems like i am just forcing my body all over the place.

Had a pretty slack day at the gym, i just feel so burned out right now been pulling mega hours at the gym for a little over 2 months now so i decided today to take a break, and taking a day off would make me feel bad later so i just had a slack 1 hour workout. I did no cardio, 60 lbs dumbbells incline bench, worked on my lower back a bit, just did some stretching and loosening up. I will kill it on saturday!

Amateur

Had a super wierd friday, i felt pretty good in the morning but nauseated from 11-4 then i fellt pretty good from 4-8 and the super ill after that, when to bet at 10, listened to music till 12 and woke up at 9:30 and felt great. It was pretty odd and had me worried that i would not be able to get a good workout in today.

THE WORKOUT haha nothing amazing happened today, i have gotten into incline Dumbbells lately so i got myself up to 75 lbs per hand on that with a solid 7 reps. I got 2 reps on the incline bench at 185 lbs. Flat bench 80 lbs dumbbells got a well formed 5 reps. and feel like i am ready to up that to 90 >_< Had a good workout over all and felt amazing when i left.

On a side/personal note i bought my first hockey stick in many many years, i have not play hockey since i was 8 so my old hockey stick was very very small. In doing so it kind of brought back some awesome memories of when i was a kid some of the only times i can remember really being excited about something and not being in the hospital. Picture #1 age 5, hight 2' 8", weight 28 lbs. picture #2 age 21, hight 5' 6", weight 140 lbs. Note i am left handed with a hockey stick, the stick i am holding when i was 5 was my younger brothers and it was quite a bit to big why i have no idea >_<
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0085-1.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	24851  

Amateur

Had a good day, was asking a guy there what he does to push up his weights, he's about the same size as me but can bench well over 250 lbs and is pretty jacked, he was saying that i do to many sets leading up to my main weights, and that i tire myself out, but build great endurance. It made sense to me i do about 5-6 sets leading up to my main weights so would that slow my progress in adding weight? I tried not focusing so much on the lower weights for my flat bench dumbbells and just lifted 80 lbs per hand, did 6 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps, and called it for that workout and felt pretty good, they are definitely getting to light and i will go up to the 85's wednesday. I continued this for quite a few of my workouts. I have finally found a chin up bar that works for me!!! some of the new machines at the YMCA are pretty terribly designed especially the chin up bars! so i have started to use the squat rack with the bar on the top notch, i keep my legs tucked in tight and i have no issues, i have also start doing a sideways chin up??? i pul up to the left of the bar then the right and work back and froth, it really gets my muscles burning! I have just been surprised about how good i feel lately, i have wanted to be in this kind of shape for SO long and have been getting so many compliments, it just feels so good in every sense of the word. HAHA it might even help me with my single status ;P haha a guy can hope.

How do you edit your signature?
    Last edited by TopHatPlus; 18-01-2011 at 12:34 AM.

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

Good work tophat.....I hope you reach your goals.....There are good folks on here that can help.......Get the basics down, then start working up from there...Start with your nutrition, a car wont go, with no fuel in the tank.......Keep on posting...
    Get your supplements where all top athletes/bodybuilders get their supplements......... www.Trueprotein.com (no customs/duty tax fee's at all)
    Trueprotein sponsored athlete Enter CANADABB for 5% discount

Canadian Bodybuilding Champ

If you're going for a max or trying to increase your strength on bench use low reps for the warm up sets. You can get away with doing a few warm up sets without getting tired as long as the reps are low. With dumbbell chest press tuck your elbows a bit (you should be doing this with a barbell also) and bring the dumbbells right down to just above your armpits. Otherwise you will lack strength in your lower range of motion for barbell bench and you won't get good carryover from using dumbbells. I actually go deeper with dumbbells than with a barbell because you have greater mobility with dumbbells vs a barbell.

Go to "User CP" top left of the screen and browse through there to edit different aspects of your user profile.

Amateur

Thanks guys, i have been making an effort to get up a little earlier and grab a bowl a porge before i head off to work.

For flat bench dumbbells i hold my elbows as close to my body as possible, (this varies with the amount of weight, more weight equals wider so my elbows get slightly further away) basically so the edge of the dumbbell touches my nipple and push straight up and do a 1/4 turn at the top. I am also trying not to throw the weights up and work them in a slow consistent speed, it gets tougher in the later reps.

So i guess for the next bit rather the 45, 95, 145, 165 185 with about 5-8 reps per i will try, 45, 135, 185?

i tend to add 25x2 then another 25x2 then 10x2 and then 10x2 so just start with the bar add 45x2 and then 25x2 see how it goes.

Amateur

I did some searching/ digging and apparently i have not been permitted to use signatures yet, does anyone know what you have to do/ achieve to get them?

Amateur

So i tried mixing it up today, less reps of the lower weights and less of the lower weights and just working on the higher weights. I definitely had a different feeling when i left, my arms did not feel nearly as exhausted, and felt like they were so big they were going to pop. Not sure about it yet but i will give it a try and get a few good workouts in before i make my final judgement on it. I got 2 solid reps of the 90 lb dumbbells on the flat bench in, i almost had 3 but i ca lapsed 3/4 of the way up, i did do this after flat bench so my arms where well warmed up and starting to fatigue slightly. Just really worked everything like usual, i did a few extra sets of chin ups and a sideways chin up? my delts felt pretty good =D

I have kind of decided to start an all out sprint for spring, i am just meaning in my physical goals =D i think my 6 pack (to be) is turning more into an 8 pack but i am not 100% sure, i will post a new pic mid february. Still hovering the 140 lb mark and am pretty happy with that i am noticed massive improvements in my shoulders and back, and my abs are getting better and better with every visit! I was chatting with my parents and found out they bought my younger brother proactive to help him with his pretty bad acne, and i figured being he quit after like 2 days and its all sitting there i would try it, i have never really had an issue with my skin but its never been "good" so i am kind of excited to see how it goes.

Thanks for stopping by!

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast