CANADA BODYBUILDING - CANADIAN BODYBUILDING FORUM
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    National Level Bodybuilder

Hasn't been more than a day, and I am already hitting my first set back!! I am typing away while lying down. I tweaked my lower back and I am pretty much useless right now! I am not sure if it was from the last heavy leg press day (2 days ago but pain only happened today), or if I simply bent over the wrong way this morning to pick up something. Either way, I had a very difficult day - even walking was a pain! Not the best way to start out my prep, but I am not concerned...I should bounce back in a day or two and back at it hard!

Dieting so far a breeze. Always is the first week or so, soon all glycogen stores will be pretty much depleted, and the real fun begins!

Twirp

Good luck to the both of you! A couple that diets together...will probably want to kill eachother once or twice in the next 14 weeks LOL. But the fact that you don't let obstacles like injury, parenthood, and living in a new city affect your goals is an excellent inspiration to anyone who aspires to compete.

Super Moderator

Lower back shows no signs of improvments. Basically no gym for me. It's been 5 days now. Going to the chiro in a few minutes. Quite sure a slipped disc / nerve compression injury here. Again, don't really know where this came from!! But this is the worst injury I've had to my lower back in basically ever. Sneezing is the thing I look least forward to. minutes to get out of bed, shoes on, etc....I was hoping things would have settled a bit by now but doesn't look good!

I am crossing my fingers to be able to do at least some light leg work soon. you know how people test flexibility by sitting down and reaching over to touch toes? I can't even do the sitting down part unless my knees are bent. Not the greatest start to a log - but I am still confident I will bounce back. It's funny, because 2 years ago, during my other prep I remember having a similar problem (but the pain was in the hip / glutes / hamstring). MRI ended up confirming a buldged disc. Just when that injury seemed to be 99% gone, I may have another repeat! BAH! Again...not concerned yet...This morning I was 184 and looking leaner than I have in a LONG time. I am thinking I should be able to easily compete above 170 on stage - perhaps even 175 if things go well from here on out!

Super Moderator

Update:

Chiro said it was a ligament sprain in my back effecting my left side. I also have a nerve compression / slipped disc problem. He says best case scenario though, is that the ligament strain is causing so much inflammation that it created a false positive for nerve issues. Basically, lying flat on my back, he could bring my right leg perpendicular before even slight pain. The left leg, he could not bring my foot even more than a few inches up before I couldn't bear with the pain. anything below 45 degrees is a bad sign. I basically hit 5 degrees. Anyway...regardless of the cause, I am still optimistic. As Ange has proven to me in the past, these types of setbacks aren't ideal - but they aren't something that will prevent me from accomplishing my goals unless they continue for months not weeks.

Amateur

If the sport was without injury or something else to work through , this board would be pretty dry ....lol , Wish you all the best in your recovery Steve !
    Energy & Persistance alter all things - Ben Franklin

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

damn , all the best Steve!

Super Moderator

it's been 10 days since the back injury. The inflammation has gone down a fair bit...I actually got back in the gym for a chest workout on saturday. Felt good to train and I was able to train relatively hard. Wearing a belt to keep the back secure from little sudden movements that seem to cause pain still. But I think it is only pain at this point and the injury will slowly work its way out. I won't be messing around with anything that requires any stress on the low back (ie, squats, deads especially) or things like dumbell shoulder press where you really need a tight core to get the weight up to start the set...But I can do some exercises now. Leg extensions are still impossible as I can't lift my left leg up while sitting. But tremendous improvements since I saw the ART / chiro / electric / laser therapy.

I feel as though squats will be starting again in about 2 weeks with a little help of suit bottoms. Deadlifts maybe a couple weeks after that.

Twirp

You're a BEAST Steve...most people would have thrown in the towel on competiting at this point. Keep working hard!

Muscle Bound

Yes props for the high moral!

Do you take anti-inflammatory ? Put ice regularly ?

I had 3 compressed disks in the past, the last one being in 06, I often experienced those episode of 'lock-up' and been stuck in the bed, probably 50+ times, from a few days up to 2 months being unable to walk.

Eric

Super Moderator

ibuprofen has helped quite a bit, but didn't help the initial 2-3 days. THings just needed to settle. I've only had this happen about 3-4 times in my life. Each time is about 3-4 days to fully recovered. This time was about 7+lingering. Perhaps I am just getting old!

Ice has also helped as well. do it a couple times a day, but its been tricky getting the time at work.

Yikes! 2 months! I hope I don't ever get it that bad.

Aside from that, the diet continues to go well. Had my first little cheat meal on saturday. woke up 189 the next morning, but back to 185 today. I think I'll get some pics up this weekend. Just need to figure out my official photo taking 'spot' in our house to get the most consistent lighting, etc. I should be about 183 or so by then. Hoping to stay over 180 as long as possible.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast