CANADA BODYBUILDING - CANADIAN BODYBUILDING FORUM
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Twirp

Default 27yo/145lbs/5'6" - time to bulk

Hello All,

I just signed up on this site because I feel like there's a lot of experts in nutrition and body building and was hoping to get some extra tips.
    I have worked out 1.5 years now. first 1 year was great, leaned up, build muscles, but stayed at around 140lbs and started getting frustrated that i wasnt gaining muscle weight. Went on a bulk diet for 2 months and gained 5lbs (or about 3-4 plus muscle 1 lb of fat). Now i am ready to bulk up again.

Please advise on my CLEAN BULK DIET:

2250 calories : 150p/120c/45f <-- this number doesnt add up to 2250. I am confused how people do these numbers. Example, 4 oz of chicken breast is about 120 calories, 25g of protein. but 25g x 4 = 100 calories. so 20 short...

Anyway back to my diet:

Meal 1:
    10oz unsweetened almond milk
    1scoop protein powder (25g protein)
    1tbs matcha powder
    1/2 frozen banana
    1/3 cup of quick oats
    1/2 fresh avocado

Meal 2:
    4oz meat
    1/2 cup of cooked quinoa
    handful of veggies
    13 almonds

Meal 3:
    10oz unsweetened almond milk
    1scoop protein powder (25g)
    1/2 frozen banana
    1tbs of natural pb
    1/3 cup of quick oats

Meal 4 (pre work out):
    4oz meat
    1 cup cooked quinoa
    handful of veggies

Meal 5 (pwo):
    1scoop of protein powder (25g)
    water
    Green apple

Meal 6:
    4oz meat
    1/2 cup of cooked basmati rice
    handful of veggies
    1 rice cake
    1.5tbs of natural pb and a squirt of honey
    a piece of fruit

Any recommendation on carbs, protein, fat?
    Also to note, on non gym days, i will cut out 35g of carbs.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Wildo; 22-08-2012 at 01:04 PM.

IFBB PRO

There's always going to be fat in even a chicken breast so that's why your numbers don't match as you're only counting the protein. Now speaking of protein you need to increase yours quite a bit if growth is what you're after, so up it to at least 225 grams per day and you could go as high as 300 grams. Your carbs are also a bit low so up the carbs as well to 200-300 grams per day, and see how you do. Lastly don't make your eating plans to complicated as this will make it hard to follow day in and day out.

All in all 2250 cals is far to low for you to make solid gains on so up the protein and carbs as I pointed out and this should bring you up enough to make the gains you seek without gaining to much BF.

Muscle Bound

At first glance, I would say right away not enough protein, try 1.5g or even near 2g per pounds of BW. Especially if you go relatively low carbs, you are going to burn protein as fuel. You can bump your shake to 50g instead of 25g and meat to 7oz instead of 4oz. Also (not everyone agree) I am a believer that we should take carbs PWO, something like 50-75g if you are insulin sensitive, personally I feel replenished.

Eric
    “Strong people make other people stronger. They don’t put them down.”
    "If success makes you arrogant, you haven’t really succeeded. If failure makes you determined, you haven’t really failed...''

Muscle Bound

Oups didn't saw Skailes's reply before I posted mine, but look like we are on the same page.

Eric
    "If success makes you arrogant, you haven’t really succeeded. If failure makes you determined, you haven’t really failed...''

Twirp

Wow 225g of protein and 200g of carbs.. that's so much food!!!
    Look at my photo, im a very small frame, I have a feeling that much food will make me super fat. Literally have a gut hanging out....

But I will monitor my current diet for 2 weeks. If it's good, I'll up it again, and again.. until I reach 225/200

Twirp

Hi Eric, 60g of carb PWO. Do you mean the chemcial dextroxe thing. OR are you talking about a cup of oatmeal.
    I can't stomach a cup of oatmeal after work out. But i'll have more white rice on my last meal (It is before bed).

Muscle Bound

Quote Originally Posted by Wildo View Post
    Hi Eric, 60g of carb PWO. Do you mean the chemcial dextroxe thing. OR are you talking about a cup of oatmeal.
    I can't stomach a cup of oatmeal after work out. But i'll have more white rice on my last meal (It is before bed).
    Dextrose is not my favorite choice, I prefer waxy maze or maltodextrine and lately I tried brown rice carbs (http://truenutrition.com/p-1048-whol...drate-1lb.aspx) mixed with malto and I really like it.

If you have some belly fat, you should loose it first before bulking, you'll be able to make cleaner gain after that. Over 10-12% BF, you will tend to gain more fat deposition then muscle.

Look at Dave Palumbo's keto diet, it's here and everywhere on the net, do it till you get lean. Then once lean out, keep protein high and slowly re-introduce carbs up, till you find the 'sweet' spot where you actually make lean gain without fat deposition.

Eric

Super Moderator
    National Level Bodybuilder

Quote Originally Posted by Wildo View Post
    Wow 225g of protein and 200g of carbs.. that's so much food!!!
    Look at my photo, im a very small frame, I have a feeling that much food will make me super fat. Literally have a gut hanging out....

But I will monitor my current diet for 2 weeks. If it's good, I'll up it again, and again.. until I reach 225/200
    It's actually not much food at all. I think the problem is you first need to learn how to make sure you are reading labels properly and knowing exactly what you are eating and what the macro totals are. 225 prrotein for example is as you've pointed out: 225*4 = 900 calories. Then 800 calories from carbs. You're only at 1700. Add in for example 50 fat and you are still at 2100 calories, which is less than what you mentioned you were eating!

as you mentioned, the macros you pointed out didnt add up: 150p/120c/45f is 1485 calories. I would really doubt you could create a diet this low in calories and feel like you are actually getting enough food. You might last a day or 2 and then start feeling like you were just recruited for survivor island. A guy your size should be able to eat at least 2500 calories if working out hard and not add 1 pound of fat over the long term. You should (as others pointed out) aim for lots of protein, a decent amount of carbs, and fat.

300p/200c/70f give or take should be a good start.

Twirp

Hi Mr. Steve D.

Please Answer this.

1 tbs of Peanut butter:
    back of label reads: TOTAL 100 calories
    Total Fat: 8g (72 calories).
    -28calorie difference

4oz chicken breast:
    label reads: 120 calories
    total protein: 25g (100 calories)
    -20 calorie difference

1cup of cooked quinoa:
    label reads: 170 calories
    total carbs: 31g (124 calories)
    -46 calorie difference

So the reason why i overshoot my calories is because I add everything from total content calories and not from total protein/carbs/fat. Should I only count from p/c/f, or keep counting total calories?
    I also count my veggie/fruit calories in my total... should I not add those?

Super Moderator
    National Level Bodybuilder

peanut butter also contains carbs and protein... add those up and you'll get 100. chicken also has carbs and fat, add those and you should get the 120.
    quinoa also has protein and fat, add those and you get 170 calories.

You should add all of them in to get your total. for example, where would you put greek yogurt in? It has almost an even amount of carbs and protein, so you can't just count it as a protein or carb source. It's both.

Same with any of your protein powders, etc. Yes, they are mostly protein, but there are carbs and fat in there as well.

You will never get an accurate representation of your total P/C/F ratio if you only add up the 'main source' in it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast