CANADA BODYBUILDING - CANADIAN BODYBUILDING FORUM
    Super Moderator
    National Level Bodybuilder

Default Off-season mock meet training -

So as many of you know I have had some ups and downs in terms of injuries, etc. I am happy to say I feel as though my injuries are the lowest they've been in about 5 years now. Minor injury to my lower back that's been hindering progress on the deads, but with the right belt, and loose deadlift briefs, I can actually train pretty hard.

I have tied a personal best bench that dates back to over 6 years ago at 360 pounds. This is with strict form, no shirt, and with a 1-2 second pause at the bottom. no bouncing... I might have gotten more like 375-380 touch and go... Not quite double body weight as I am hovering over 180 now, but not far off considering I have only been focusing on maxes for the last 2 workouts. The plan was to enter a powerlifting meet in Amherst (both Ange and I actually), but unfortunately my usual 2 sources of babysitting can't make it. So we've decided to have a little fun with the next couple weeks. Pretend we are competing and do the lifts on that day - just for fun!

I don't need a trophy or a meet to confirm my strength, (although it is fun to be part of it!)... so for the next few weeks I will be logging some of my lifts and cross my fingers to remain injury free!

Bodybuilder

love doin the mock meets.....hows the training going??

Super Moderator

training for the mock meet could have gone much better... I decided to cancel, lol.

After getting my bench up to old PRs, it seemed as though the extra weight was putting too much on the joints. Rather than risk injury for a pretend meet, I dediced to get back to making sure I am healthy longer term. Strength is still there, and getting very good pumps in the gym. Haven't been this lean at this weight ever, which means off-season is a huge success. I also decided to stop trying to stay so lean in the off-season. I simply wasn't gaining strength, or weight, so I bumped the calories up, and to be honest, after gaining nearly 6 pounds in 3 weeks, I don't even look a pound fatter. Obviously just glycogen and what not, but doesn't matter to me - I am stronger, fuller, and look just as lean.

If I can stay healthy long enough, I'll do a real meet - otherwise, I am sure I will be getting ready for another show in 2013. Waiting to hear dates for nationals, etc. I'd love to see them combine figure and bodybuilding nationals. I heard a rumor about toronto.... They should think about having nationals during the toronto pro weekend. perhaps too much overkill.

Bodybuilder

health over ego......i just took over a month off.....nagging shoulder injuries etc...lost strength but i feel renewed and ready to kill it (responsibly!) again....more submaximal training etc.....good luck with it all!!!!!

Super Moderator

Thanks! and since I last posted, I found out the CBBF nationals are held in halifax... Just wow! Looks like my competition plans have been decided for me! Very excited about this - and let's hope it really is in halifax (i heard a rumor cbbf may have jumped the gun and posted this?) Either way - I am pretty confident nationals are in my back yard next year, and it looks like I will be ripped for summer next year haha...

Bodybuilder

thats awesome! must make the last week a lot easier for contest prep if theres no travel involved.....