CANADA BODYBUILDING - CANADIAN BODYBUILDING FORUM
    Twirp

Default Road to Ontario Naturals 2013

Decided I would make a log/journal to help track my progress through my off season and into my contest prep for the 2013 Ontario Naturals. I will be competing in the Men's Physique division. My last competition was the KWO Natural Classic, won 1st in my class. I will be mainly logging my workouts here throughout my off season and into my contest prep. Focusing on hitting new PRs each week and building on a overall better physique, I am just a little guy so some of my lifts/stats might not be up to par with some of you guys lol.

Here is a shot of me during contest prep, not as conditioned anymore I have put on about 10lbs at least since this.
    Name:  cut.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  9.6 KB

Here is a shot of me now, still fairly lean but again about 10lbs heavier.
    Name:  bulk.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  7.6 KB

Goal:
    -Put on as much lean body mass and increase strength as much as possible during off season
    -Maintain as much LBM as possible during contest prep and come in with an overall improved physique

Stats
    Height:5'7
    Current Weight: 155lbs
    Last edited by cKemp; 30-10-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Twirp

10/30/2012
    Day 1: Chest/Front Delts

Flat Barbell Bench: 4x8 - 155lbs

Incline Dumbbell Press -4x8 - 65lbs

Decline Bench Press -4x10 135lbs/135lbs/135lbs/115lbs
    (Was really burnt out at this point, just starting to adjust to this new routine.)

Dips - 3xFAIL - BW. Superset w/ Cable Flys - 3x15 - 20lbs.
    I was failing anywhere between 8-10 reps on the dips, usually can get at least 12 but I was running on fumes at this point.

Front Barbell Raises - 4x10 - 45lbs

IFBB PRO

To much lower pec work IMO. You should concentrate more on incline work and then work your way down your chest. In physique or bodybuilding incline pressing is far more important as most guys have poor upper pecs and to much lower chest work will result in "heavy" or drooping lower pecs. So IMO your workout should be incline press, incline fly, bench press, dips and that's it. For the pressing you can go one week barbell and the next week/workout DBs or a combo IE barbell incline and DB bench press, but no matter what your upper pecs should always be the number one priority on chest day.
    now accepting contest prep. applications for the 2013 contest season
    Patrick Skailes IFBB pro, CPT
    http://patrickskailes.com/index

Twirp

Thank u man I appreciate your feedback. Just going on what my coach has given me but I agree the upper chest is definitely something I should be focusing more on, not sure if he has me doing more lower chest as of right now to build it up but I brought it up with him and I'm thinking we will be changing it up soon.

Muscle Bound

Training the upper pecs is a good way also to push the lower pecs, adding thickness in the upper can only results in making it easier to grow the lower portion after.

My first trainer in 1986 noticed I had lagging upper pecs, he put me through :

Wide grip incline Bench press
    Narrow grip incline Bench press
    Incline DB press

Just for a blitz 8 weeks, the uppers pecs just popped out very fast. I would not do this more then 6-8 weeks though.

Eric
    “Strong people make other people stronger. They don’t put them down.”
    "If success makes you arrogant, you haven’t really succeeded. If failure makes you determined, you haven’t really failed...''

Bodybuilder

My upper chest improved most when I slowed down the negative and brought up my traps. When you add enough muscle to pull back your delts significantly your upper chest will improve. Not so much in size but in the way in which you present the chest.