CANADA BODYBUILDING - CANADIAN BODYBUILDING FORUM
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Twirp

Default The golden age of internet boards..

I'm assuming is a time lost, now.. But to all the "Newer" members here, you really missed out on a really cool time. I remember joining a guess we'll call it, a grandfather site? To CBB about 10 years ago, Nexus. Back then every section of and sub category in the forum was being updated almost every minute. Constant talk about training, supplementation, "supplementation" pictures, training logs, and Off topic was rapid fire. I think I can speak for a lot of the original members still kicking around, that we all actually looked forward to the time we spent on the boards. Back in the Nexus hay day, there was a large sense of community and friendship. Of course not everyone bought into it, and there was a few douche bags over the years but for most part it was a core group of guys and gals that kept the place interesting. It was actually a large core group of members. I actually wish a lot of the new people had a chance to see what it was all about. Back then, being offered a Mod position was a pretty big deal, and it was like a sort of mini side job. The average Nexus member had at least 500 posts, some had thousands. We were lucky to have health care professionals on the board, and they fielded our supplementation questions. I'm not sure if this forum has one, or not.. but I'm just saying, it was really cool. I think the best part of all though was the comfort level you had with people you'd likely never met personally. A cool bond was formed amongst many members. Just positing this little write for nostalgic purposes for the members who were there then, and for a source of entertainment for those who weren't. Time on Nexus was time well spent, and I spent a lot of hours there.

Geo,

Super Moderator
    National Level Bodybuilder

With the invention of facebook, twitter, instagram, and so on, I find people only spend their time sharing selfies and creeping on others walls for the latest info on their personal lives. No one seems to use forums as social media anymore! Even just a couple years ago, if there was a local bodybuilding show/event, people would be refreshing these types of forums for play-by-plays, etc. Now it's facebook, twitter, etc. More of a zoo if you ask me! I'd prefer it to be the way it was years ago no doubt.

Muscle Bound

At first FB had it's place for me to find some old friends I lost track of, but now that you say that I realize how the forums I was on (forums I was there 10 years ago) are dying, people were using forums to tell news about them, now it's converged to FB and similar. Bounding is not the same.

Eric
    “Strong people make other people stronger. They don’t put them down.”
    "If success makes you arrogant, you haven’t really succeeded. If failure makes you determined, you haven’t really failed...''

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

Nexus was a lot of fun. Geo, did you used to have the Hulk avatar back then?
    Never give up a cabinet!!

Twirp

Sure did.

Muscle Bound

I am so happy that I found Nexus> It was educational and entertaining at the same time.
    It really felt like a brotherhood at the time. I even met/partied with some members...

Bodybuilder

Nexus was my favourite board , without a doubt. CJM was a good board too, unless you disagreed with a couple of the mods , especially in the Off Topic forum. MN was always busy, lots of funny members. JKurz was ****ing hilarious.

Twirp

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    I'm assuming is a time lost, now.. ... Back in the Nexus hay day, there was a large sense of community and friendship. Of course not everyone bought into it, and there was a few douche bags over the years but for most part it was a core group of guys and gals that kept the place interesting. It was actually a large core group of members. I actually wish a lot of the new people had a chance to see what it was all about. Back then, being offered a Mod position was a pretty big deal, and it was like a sort of mini side job. The average Nexus member had at least 500 posts, some had thousands. We were lucky to have health care professionals on the board, and they fielded our supplementation questions. Geo,
    I was there for those years. I remember Lunk or LUnkhead , the doc who was a great help. I remember BDH, aboot , CArl, another guy from Northern Alberta ( brassbolt? ) who had set up a great gym in his basement. Jkurz and his 6 almonds rant was funny but it is even more funny now that people actually use almonds as a means to gain weight. lol..

Many of the boards are now populated by people who ask the same questions without using any search function whatsoever.

"I'm 148 pounds 16 years old and just started weightlifting. I bought a 100 dbol last week; should I take them all at once or eat more or what? advice please .. thank you in advance".

and some of the people who respond to those sorts of questions end up writing a book. perhaps few people listen to them out in the world where they don't have a captive audience.

Twirp

hahaha I remember that guy, Jkruz. He was banned like 15 times then would come back with a different handle but the same diet, over and over. ALL IN CAPS! Think of the mental disorder he had to have to continually feel the urge to get confirmation on that diet. hahaha

Bodybuilder

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    hahaha I remember that guy, Jkruz. He was banned like 15 times then would come back with a different handle but the same diet, over and over. ALL IN CAPS! Think of the mental disorder he had to have to continually feel the urge to get confirmation on that diet. hahaha
    Pretty sure I encouraged him to kill himself numerous times. Nowadays I'd be charged criminally. I was such a dick back then lol.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast