CANADA BODYBUILDING - CANADIAN BODYBUILDING FORUM
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Muscle Bound

For me, to avoid pain, I do the skull crushers flat, but I use an EZ bar and my elbows aren't pointing the ceiling, they are near 45 degree further back, it release a lot of tension and I can do them freely without a problem, I do negative very slowly also.

Eric
    “Strong people make other people stronger. They don’t put them down.”
    "If success makes you arrogant, you haven’t really succeeded. If failure makes you determined, you haven’t really failed...''

Bodybuilder

Quote Originally Posted by cog View Post
    Cable with rope grips,incline bench would be my perfect setup for those.Knees on the seat pad.
    Pushdowns or overhead extensions ? I can't do any overhead extension for tris anymore because the bursa rubs over my elbow. I can do rope extensions, kick backs and close grips. That's about it.

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Hosehead View Post
    Pushdowns or overhead extensions ? I can't do any overhead extension for tris anymore because the bursa rubs over my elbow. I can do rope extensions, kick backs and close grips. That's about it.
    Overheads but I guess you're screwed for those.Have we ever had a thread that goes in depth for tris?

Back to the hypers.I think the 45 degree stations are more productive.I only go as low as my hams allow,I like to be up on the balls of my feet and quads flexed,pad well below the iliac crests,go up slowly,near the top the glutes get more fully engaged and the adductors engage for the last few inches.Going slow you don't have to worry about momentum taking you too far.Neck neutral,no looking up.Never any problems.

Canadian Bodybuilding Champ

Triceps are fairly simple if you understand the anatomy.

The long head crosses both the elbow and the shoulder joint. With the other two heads only the elbow joint is important but with the long head you need movement of the humerus/upper arm also.

For this reason skull crushers are a great exercise for building the triceps. Like was mentioned previously a cambered bar should be used vs. a straight bar. I also like to use dumbbells. You just have to be mindful of chronic wrist and elbow injuries that can develop. One of the other reasons this is a very effective exercise is because it's a lot harder to cheat. If you go to a typical gym and watch people training triceps you will see most people doing push/press downs with awful technique and too much weight. Dips are a great alternative to skull crushers, both provide good activation of the long head because the upper arm moves away (anterior or posterior) from the frontal/coronal plane of the body. aka not at your side
    Last edited by O-Train; 27-11-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    War only has rules for the loser.

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

Quote Originally Posted by O-Train View Post
    Triceps are fairly simple if you understand the anatomy.

The long head crosses both the elbow and the shoulder joint. With the other two heads only the elbow joint is important but with the long head you need movement of the humerus/upper arm also.

For this reason skull crushers are a great exercise for building the triceps. Like was mentioned previously a cambered bar should be used vs. a straight bar. I also like to use dumbbells. You just have to be mindful of chronic wrist and elbow injuries that can develop. One of the other reasons this is a very effective exercise is because it's a lot harder to cheat. If you go to a typical gym and watch people training triceps you will see most people doing push/press downs with awful technique and too much weight. Dips are a great alternative to skull crushers, both provide good activation of the long head because the upper arm moves away (anterior or posterior) from the frontal/coronal plane of the body. aka not at your side

Ever heard of Kal Szkalak?He used to devote an entire session to just triceps.Dips the same as a rolling tri extension?Still trying to find reference to an article in Iron Man around 1980 he gave he had a custom movement which he explained had to be done very precisely,was never able to get the right feel I believe.Kneeling position with a cable,he would execute a kind of overhead extension as he stretched out.

Bodybuilding Competitor

I first glanced the article and I thought he was saying not to Squat, Deadlift, Clean or Snatch....my head almost blew off my body...lol
    If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
    http://www.hyperforce.net/ <---Team Hyperforce
    http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

Likely the best back raise station money can buy.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=114&pid=824

Bodybuilder

Ever heard of Kal Szkalak?He used to devote an entire session to just triceps.Dips the same as a rolling tri extension?Still trying to find reference to an article in Iron Man around 1980 he gave he had a custom movement which he explained had to be done very precisely,was never able to get the right feel I believe.Kneeling position with a cable,he would execute a kind of overhead extension as he stretched out.
    rolling tri ext is a grrrrrrreat exercise.....the stretch you get is insane.....

Dips the same as a rolling tri extension?
    Not the same, just a good alternative for properly developing the long head. Skull crushers and rolling tri extensions being the better choice for this in my opinion. Also, rolling tricep extensions are slightly different than skull crushers. If performing a skull crusher with a bar it should literally crush your skull if you go too deep. Whereas with a rolling tricep extension the bar should go behind the head. I'm just clarifying because some people may not know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by O-Train View Post
    Not the same, just a good alternative for properly developing the long head.
    I realized this is not correct. The long head is more heavily recruited during skull crushers and even more so during rolling tricep extensions because of extension of the shoulder. Whereas a tricep dip puts greater emphasis on the anterior deltoid because of shoulder flexion. My bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12