CANADA BODYBUILDING - CANADIAN BODYBUILDING FORUM
    Canada Bodybuilding VIP

Default Crossfitter Paralyzed During Competition

A very unfortunate accident paralyzed an experienced competitor recently,while attempting a snatch he fell backwards and severed his spine.Some people are questioning the training load,both short and long term.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/cro...-and-questions

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by cog View Post
    A very unfortunate accident paralyzed an experienced competitor recently,while attempting a snatch he fell backwards and severed his spine.Some people are questioning the training load,both short and long term.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/cro...-and-questions
    That is really sad to hear. I am not fond of cross-fit but I do respect other individuals specified sports, even if it is incredibly dangerous. In my university gym, there was a female cross-fitter who tried a 215 lbs snatch. The bar went over her head and behind her neck. Luckily she let go in time to have not snapped her arms back ward or land with her spine on the bar but she did fall hard onto the bar on her shoulder. It was really terrible. They called in an ambulance and brought her out on a stretcher... Haven't seen her in my gym since. Hope she is doing ok!

On an off note, the guy in the article (Kevin Ogar) actually liked one of my instagram photos a while ago! That's kind of cool!

-Primal

National Level Bodybuilder

This is why if you choose to olympic lift it is crucial to find an experienced olympic lifting coach and not some yoyo Good life trainer! Not to say that this guy didnt have a good coach becaude I have no idea but I am just stating the obvious.

P
    BodyAthletica has teamed up with Canadian Protein.com!
    **Use link http://canadianprotein.refr.cc/5D9LJ57 *free shipping on orders over $99l!*
    **Visit www.bodyathletica.com and www.canadianprotein.com**

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian View Post
    This is why if you choose to olympic lift it is crucial to find an experienced olympic lifting coach and not some yoyo Good life trainer! Not to say that this guy didnt have a good coach becaude I have no idea but I am just stating the obvious.

P
    Well I am sure he had a good coach, I think he was a big name in the industry along Rich Froning and other cross-fitters. I recently was looking through articles on posture at my school and they happened to show how a human skeleton looks while doing certain exercises like walking, sitting etc. I remember one image very well however. It was someone doing a heavy snatch (there were about 4 pictures all going through the ROM). I looked at the skeletal position and was completely amazed! I had never seen someones spine so curved, especially during the start up position. They had another picture, a man with severe scoliosis and even his back wasn't that bad compared to the cross-fitters. I'm not trying to bash, just putting in my opinion. I really think that cross-fit has the potential to be an incredibly dangerous sport, especially if you take it to the top level. Just be smart about your lifting I guess... Just my thoughts. It worries me to see more people being interested in taking this up as a sport however.

-Primal

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Primal View Post
    Well I am sure he had a good coach, I think he was a big name in the industry along Rich Froning and other cross-fitters. I recently was looking through articles on posture at my school and they happened to show how a human skeleton looks while doing certain exercises like walking, sitting etc. I remember one image very well however. It was someone doing a heavy snatch (there were about 4 pictures all going through the ROM). I looked at the skeletal position and was completely amazed! I had never seen someones spine so curved, especially during the start up position. They had another picture, a man with severe scoliosis and even his back wasn't that bad compared to the cross-fitters. I'm not trying to bash, just putting in my opinion. I really think that cross-fit has the potential to be an incredibly dangerous sport, especially if you take it to the top level. Just be smart about your lifting I guess... Just my thoughts. It worries me to see more people being interested in taking this up as a sport however.

-Primal
    He missed with a weight he could usually handle with ease.Earlier that day he did some kind of stupid run with weights.He was fatigued.Meadows recently conceded that crossfitters have gotten a lot of people into the gym,but they do some crazy things....and their propensity to exaggerate only makes it worse.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by cog View Post
    He missed with a weight he could usually handle with ease.Earlier that day he did some kind of stupid run with weights.He was fatigued.Meadows recently conceded that crossfitters have gotten a lot of people into the gym,but they do some crazy things....and their propensity to exaggerate only makes it worse.
    ^This. Yes, I have noticed in my area that cross-fitters brag about everything and anything (again, only in my area. I'm sure there are some good cross-fitters elsewhere). What I really don't get is how they can brag when they do things like the 'kipping pullup'. Are you guys doing a pullup or a muscle up? If they weren't all a foot under me and would stop smashing 135 lbs bars on the ground because it's "Heavy F****ing overhead pressing" I wouldn't care as much but whenever I see these guys coming in the gym I make a note to turn up the radio a bit more.

-Primal