CANADA BODYBUILDING - CANADIAN BODYBUILDING FORUM
    Canadian Bodybuilding Champ

Default Debunking the paleo diet: Christina Warinner at TEDxOU (Video)

War only has rules for the loser.

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

I watched till the 10 minute mark and decided that she is an educated idiot.She is taking the same approach as the people that argue that keto is bogus because you need to add a few carbs prior to a max effort to get 100% exertion effort.And ignore all the good things that occur the rest of the time.People from the northern hemispheres had less fruits,legumes and grains to eat,period.So what if she found barley in their dental plaque,how much can you eat grinding it up with a stone?Fruits and berries were seasonal,she keeps talking about the tropics and banannas......

National Level Bodybuilder

Nonsense....and no one ever said Paleo was keto or vice versa...she is confused. Oh and I've pulled by best ever deadlift of 705lbs at a bw of 225lbs on keto!

P
    BodyAthletica has teamed up with Canadian Protein.com!
    **Use link http://canadianprotein.refr.cc/5D9LJ57 *free shipping on orders over $99l!*
    **Visit www.bodyathletica.com and www.canadianprotein.com**

Amateur

Ok so for starters, I did take an Anthropology course (1032). I'm a little confused as to what she is trying to get at to be honest. We already know that different homo had different diets based on what part of the world they were in, and yes what I don't think she did mention is that some homo ONLY ate meat (either homo robustus or neanderthal if I remember correctly) and this is because they lived so far up north that no plants would grow up there. Simply put, the Paleo diet is stupid, because if you really wanted to eat like a paleoithic man, you would be eating berries and an occasional deer that you could hunt down and maybe kill. That is what the TRUE paleo diet is. I think the whole fitness community, and the idiot who started up this whole 'paleo' fad a) was uneducated about the paleoithic era and what our people even ate back then and b) sold his uneducated idea to a bunch of other uneducated people who thought that all humans did was eat meat back in the day. I think you are right Prae, I think she is confusing paleo with keto but I will have to go back and watch it again, it's been a few hours since I last viewed it.

Also pertaining to cog. Yes you are right, the fruits and berries were seasonal and before humans could actually figure out how to harvest them, they would eat the fruit and such and then wander around the area to find more. It wasn't until humans found how to harvest fruit and grains that humanity really started to come together and grow. I will say this however, I remember explicitly that the grains did bad for the community though, lots would have terrible pains from cavities that they caused and sometimes the crops would fail. The community was much better on a meat and grain diet.

-Primal

Canadian Bodybuilding Champ

The only confused people are the ones bringing up the keto diet which has nothing to do with the video. I really miss Muscle Nexus. At least there were multiple sources of opinion and not just one...
    War only has rules for the loser.

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

The lecturer keeps mentioning the sources of calories other than meat......I noticed an old post of yours where you stated that the body preferred glucose....it's easy and feels good but so does cocaine to a lab rat.

Not trying to be nasty O-Train,but the profits that agri corps can make peddling carbs is on the same scale as peddling crack.
    Last edited by cog; 18-03-2014 at 01:50 PM.

National Level Bodybuilder

Quote Originally Posted by O-Train View Post
    The only confused people are the ones bringing up the keto diet which has nothing to do with the video. I really miss Muscle Nexus. At least there were multiple sources of opinion and not just one...
    The so called Paleo diet she describes ie vast amounts of meats is equivalent to a keto diet. She doesnt however literally speak of the keto diet true. However this diet does not relate to what the Paleo diet illustrated by some ie Chris Kresser or that of a keto based type diet for athletes. Yes it is true that there are many different cultures or civilizations that survived on plant base diets as well as protein and blood based diets. The Paleo diet as espoused by some maybe a misnomer because it does generally include starchy carbs but mainly from root vegetables. I think the term Paleo is what really is the issue here and maybe it is being misused in place of a better term. However the premise of the diet is to move towards better health...ie removal of grains (GMO grains big difference than grain 100 years ago) move towards organic vegetables, grass fed beef, pork etc basically getting away from commercially produced food sources.

When i said confused i wasnt referring to her reference of Paleo diet of the inference of a keto diet what I meant was the purpose of the maybe "mislabelled" Paleo diet and what it tries to provide. Nobody is expecting to eat as a forager or to eliminate specific healthy food sources. Near the end of the video she does talk about where we should be moving but again we need to get away from mass quantity commercialized food OR change the way that food is produced.

P
    BodyAthletica has teamed up with Canadian Protein.com!
    **Use link http://canadianprotein.refr.cc/5D9LJ57 *free shipping on orders over $99l!*
    **Visit www.bodyathletica.com and www.canadianprotein.com**