CANADA BODYBUILDING - CANADIAN BODYBUILDING FORUM
    Muscle Bound

Default 2017 TTEric Log. Tried a different way this year.

Hey guys, long time no posts. Forum is pretty quiet...

I'm not starting a week by week thread, I've already done 16 weeks now and just I decided to share about it since I took a different route this year. Again, I do no diet for a competition, I just want to get leaner without loosing too much muscle, I decided to diet 'instinctively' this year, I do not use a keto diet or a very low fat diet, neither any pre-set plan.

Since I started training in 1983 and pretty much since that time I have been conscientious of what I eat, I know pretty well my own body.

One thing that p!ss me off when I diet, is to loose muscle and strength, at the beginning of the diet it's usually not bad, but as I get leaner, I tend to shed a lot of muscle to loose very few fat and the older I get, the more muscle I loose. So this year I decided to diet more efficiently, instead of aiming to loose 1-2 pounds per week, I aimed for 0.5 to 1 pounds per week. I decide each day and each meal what I'm going to eat, sometime more, sometime less. I can tell when I feel 'empty' and need more carbs or if I feel I need to cut some. Everyday is different, some meals are keto like, some meals are low fat, I go with what I feel my body need.

I usually go with most of carbs around the workout, but sometime I spread them evenly throughout the meals.

This year I usually train 6 days a week, 3 days upper, 3 days lower body. Since I'm natty, I use a high frequency, higher intensity, lower volume, same as the diet, I listen to my body and someday I train more, some day less. Usually I train 45min to 1h15 per day. I try to take one day off per week, sometime I take 2.

I think it's really interesting to experiment like this, I do not feel I'm dieting hard, it's pretty easy, I cheat when I feel I need to cheat.

So far I have done 13 weeks of dieting + 2 weeks that I was in vacation, I went from 206.2 to 193.2 so exactly 13lbs lost in 13 weeks which is the top of my expectation. For all this time I kept my strength and muscle mass pretty much. But now at week #16 I feel that I'm at a point where I'm loosing strength and it seems my wheels are shrinking a little bit, so I decided to eat at maintenance level or light surplus for a while to try to get my body stabilizing and get accustomed to this body weight before I try to push further.

I might be wrong but I think I will be able to lean and loose less muscle then usual.

Eric
    “Strong people make other people stronger. They don’t put them down.”
    "If success makes you arrogant, you haven’t really succeeded. If failure makes you determined, you haven’t really failed...''

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

Quote Originally Posted by TT Eric View Post
    Hey guys, long time no posts. Forum is pretty quiet...

I'm not starting a week by week thread, I've already done 16 weeks now and just I decided to share about it since I took a different route this year. Again, I do no diet for a competition, I just want to get leaner without loosing too much muscle, I decided to diet 'instinctively' this year, I do not use a keto diet or a very low fat diet, neither any pre-set plan.

Since I started training in 1983 and pretty much since that time I have been conscientious of what I eat, I know pretty well my own body.

One thing that p!ss me off when I diet, is to loose muscle and strength, at the beginning of the diet it's usually not bad, but as I get leaner, I tend to shed a lot of muscle to loose very few fat and the older I get, the more muscle I loose. So this year I decided to diet more efficiently, instead of aiming to loose 1-2 pounds per week, I aimed for 0.5 to 1 pounds per week. I decide each day and each meal what I'm going to eat, sometime more, sometime less. I can tell when I feel 'empty' and need more carbs or if I feel I need to cut some. Everyday is different, some meals are keto like, some meals are low fat, I go with what I feel my body need.

I usually go with most of carbs around the workout, but sometime I spread them evenly throughout the meals.

This year I usually train 6 days a week, 3 days upper, 3 days lower body. Since I'm natty, I use a high frequency, higher intensity, lower volume, same as the diet, I listen to my body and someday I train more, some day less. Usually I train 45min to 1h15 per day. I try to take one day off per week, sometime I take 2.

I think it's really interesting to experiment like this, I do not feel I'm dieting hard, it's pretty easy, I cheat when I feel I need to cheat.

So far I have done 13 weeks of dieting + 2 weeks that I was in vacation, I went from 206.2 to 193.2 so exactly 13lbs lost in 13 weeks which is the top of my expectation. For all this time I kept my strength and muscle mass pretty much. But now at week #16 I feel that I'm at a point where I'm loosing strength and it seems my wheels are shrinking a little bit, so I decided to eat at maintenance level or light surplus for a while to try to get my body stabilizing and get accustomed to this body weight before I try to push further.

I might be wrong but I think I will be able to lean and loose less muscle then usual.

Eric
    Believe this would be the best step.Keeping in mind how easily you can regain unwanted fat of course.

Muscle Bound

Quote Originally Posted by cog View Post
    Believe this would be the best step.Keeping in mind how easily you can regain unwanted fat of course.
    Yes it's easy, but I'm very disciplined, at week #20 I was at 192.8lbs, then I went to vacation for 3 weeks, I had access to a crappy gym and I've train 5 times there, but as usual in vacation I eat more but I'm pretty active (free diving) and lost some weight. So at week #23 I'm at 187.2lbs.

One thing I've noticed is that in vacation I take less whey protein then when I'm home and I realized that WPI make me bloat, so now that I'm back I've put it aside and I've been have a lot less GI issue and no bloating. I'm only taking hydrolyzed casein (peptopro) and creatine while I train, that's it. Relying on solid meal for the rest.

Thanks for reading

Eric
    “Strong people make other people stronger. They don’t put them down.”
    "If success makes you arrogant, you haven’t really succeeded. If failure makes you determined, you haven’t really failed...''