CANADA BODYBUILDING - CANADIAN BODYBUILDING FORUM
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Canadian Bodybuilding Champ

Default Low eGFR Values and Kidney Disease.

Well, i got some blood work done recently and my doc thinks i have kidney disease. My creatinine was 127 and my eGFR is 56 (consistent with moderate chronic kidney disease). My eGFR values have gotten worse since 2005, going from 69 down to 56. I know that creatinine is one of the main values these use to determine eGFR and that creatinine is often higher in high intensity training athletes and those that use creatine. I stopped taking creatine 2 days before the blood test and also did not train for two days prior the test...seemed to have no positive effect on my eGFR. I have now been off creatine for 2 weeks and am not gonna train for four days before my next test. I have also lowered my protein intake to see if this will have a positive effect.

I would really like to hear from some of you regarding your kidney values. It would be interesting to see if there is a link between AAS, high protein consumption and elevated creatinine values and lower eGFR values.

I have had creatinine come in high before, but not recently. However I've talked this over with my brother (Doc), among others, and the consensus is that people with a more muscular frame from lifting weights will always have "high" levels according to the standard range but it should not be a concern most of time.

Now the question is does your family have a history?
    What is he doing for follow up? How are your other blood levels?

Muscle Bound

I might just be repeating things you know already, most eGRF tests are calculated with your creatinine levels. 2 weeks off creatine supplement is what's recommended before your tests; stopping 2 days before may not have done much. Don't sweat it unless your next test comes back similar

http://www.renal.org/pages/pages/oth...about-egfr.php
    Is it still cheating if everybody's doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowlcut View Post
    I have had creatinine come in high before, but not recently. However I've talked this over with my brother (Doc), among others, and the consensus is that people with a more muscular frame from lifting weights will always have "high" levels according to the standard range but it should not be a concern most of time.

Now the question is does your family have a history?
    What is he doing for follow up? How are your other blood levels?
    Just my mom has kidney problems due to diabetes but i have no signs of that...blood sugar is always around 4-5. My cholesterol is perfectly within range and my liver values are the lowest they have been in years. I do not do orals that much anymore but i have been on test for just over a year. The only problem seems to be with my kidneys...oh and my BP was 90/50 last week when i went in to see the doc. I was pretty surprised considering i just started tren the week before. Now i am concerned obviously with the tren and it's effect on my kidneys. There are some who say tren is hard on the kidneys and other that say it is not.

I have noticed my urine is very foamy from time to time and i have read that this could indicate protein in the urine. Another cause for concern.
    Last edited by gustavo77; 19-02-2009 at 02:15 AM.

Twirp

Default same boat

Im in the same boat. mine was down to 52, i got mine back up to 72 a few weeks later by cutting out creatine totally, stopped the protein shakes (wasnt dirnking much anyways), drank a boatload of water, and a little cranberry juice thrown in for good measure. i didnt train 3 days before my test.

get them to run a 24h (urine) clearance test on you. this is more accurate, and measures your GFR, rather than estimating it. I made the mistake of training during my collection, and taking creatine cause the dumb nurse said it was ok.

I will tell ya. My eyes have been opened during the past year with my experience with our medical profession. They know alot less that you think. Always a good idea to get a 2nd and 3rd opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by juice555 View Post
    Im in the same boat. mine was down to 52, i got mine back up to 72 a few weeks later by cutting out creatine totally, stopped the protein shakes (wasnt dirnking much anyways), drank a boatload of water, and a little cranberry juice thrown in for good measure. i didnt train 3 days before my test.

get them to run a 24h (urine) clearance test on you. this is more accurate, and measures your GFR, rather than estimating it. I made the mistake of training during my collection, and taking creatine cause the dumb nurse said it was ok.

I will tell ya. My eyes have been opened during the past year with my experience with our medical profession. They know alot less that you think. Always a good idea to get a 2nd and 3rd opinion.
    Hey brother, good to see you here again. Well, i am going to get another blood test and possibly a 24hrs urine clearance test (if my doc ordered it. ) tomorrow. I have been off creatine for about 3 weeks now and have not trained or taken a protein shake since last Friday. In fact my protein intake has been limited since Monday...i will update the thread as soon as i have the results.

Muscle Bound

wish you all the best Gus
    POLISH AND PROUD
    THE BEAST
    97 vr6 3.0 TURBO

Quote Originally Posted by purelife View Post
    wish you all the best Gus
    Thank brother...i will keep this thread updated.

Also, it would be great to hear others regarding their kidney function...

Banned

hey big guy im seeing my real doc on wednesday and i'll post up my results. ive been chugging whey like nobodys business so we'll see if that has effect on the kidneys

myself and im sure the rest of cbb would like to say good luck and hopefully its just a common level fluctuation

Amateur

I have no info to provide but I'm praying for your recovery Gus. I wish you all the best. If there is ANYTHING you need or I can help with dont hesitate to contact me.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast