CANADA BODYBUILDING - CANADIAN BODYBUILDING FORUM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default Steroid Laws Canada - The Customs Act

Another thing you all should know. Canada has it's steroid laws under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. The worst case scenario for steroid crimes under that act is: 3 years in prison (I believe it was 5 for manufacturing).

But what a lot of you don't know is the laws on importing a scheduled or controlled substance under The Customs Act.

Let me copy and paste something from the Customs Act.

Prohibitions, Offences and Punishment
    General

False statements, evasion of duties

153. No person shall

(a) make, or participate in, assent to or acquiesce in the making of, false or deceptive statements in a statement or answer made orally or in writing pursuant to this Act or the regulations;

(a.1) make, or participate in, assent to or acquiesce in the making of, false or deceptive statements in an application for an advance ruling under section 43.1 or a certificate referred to in section 97.1;

(b) to avoid compliance with this Act or the regulations,

(i) destroy, alter, mutilate, secrete or dispose of records or books of account,

(ii) make, or participate in, assent to or acquiesce in the making of, false or deceptive entries in records or books of account, or

(iii) omit, or participate in, assent to or acquiesce in the omission of, a material particular from records or books of account; or

(c) wilfully, in any manner, evade or attempt to evade compliance with any provision of this Act or evade or attempt to evade the payment of duties under this Act.

R.S., 1985, c. 1 (2nd Supp.), s. 153; 1988, c. 65, s. 80; 1993, c. 44, s. 105; 1996, c. 33, s. 39; 1997, c. 14, s. 46.

Hindering an officer

153.1 No person shall, physically or otherwise, do or attempt to do any of the following:

(a) interfere with or molest an officer doing anything that the officer is authorized to do under this Act; or

(b) hinder or prevent an officer from doing anything that the officer is authorized to do under this Act.

2001, c. 17, s. 255.

Misdescription of goods in accounting documents

154. No person shall include in any document used for the purpose of accounting under section 32 a description of goods that does not correspond with the goods so described.

Keeping, acquiring, disposing of goods illegally imported

155. No person shall, without lawful authority or excuse, the proof of which lies on him, have in his possession, purchase, sell, exchange or otherwise acquire or dispose of any imported goods in respect of which the provisions of this or any other Act of Parliament that prohibits, controls or regulates the importation of goods have been contravened.

Possession of blank documents

156. No person shall, without lawful authority or excuse, the proof of which lies on him, send or bring into Canada or have in his possession any form, document or other writing that is wholly or partly blank and is capable of being completed and used in accounting for imported goods pursuant to this Act, where the form, document or other writing bears any certificate, signature or other mark that is intended to show that such form, document or writing is correct or authentic.

Opening and unpacking goods; breaking seals

157. No person shall, without lawful authority or excuse, the proof of which lies on him,

(a) open or unpack, or cause to be opened or unpacked, any package of imported goods that has not been released; or

(b) break or tamper with, or cause to be broken or tampered with, any seals, locks or fastenings that have been placed on goods, conveyances, bonded warehouses or duty free shops pursuant to this Act or the regulations.

Officers, etc., of corporations

158. Where a corporation commits an offence under this Act, any officer, director or agent of the corporation who directed, authorized, assented to, acquiesced in or participated in the commission of the offence is a party to and guilty of the offence and is liable on conviction to the punishment provided for the offence whether or not the corporation has been prosecuted or convicted.

Smuggling

159. Every person commits an offence who smuggles or attempts to smuggle into Canada, whether clandestinely or not, any goods subject to duties, or any goods the importation of which is prohibited, controlled or regulated by or pursuant to this or any other Act of Parliament.

Offences re marking of goods

159.1 No person shall

(a) fail to mark imported goods in the manner referred to in section 35.01;

(b) mark imported goods in a deceptive manner so as to mislead another person as to the country of origin or geographic origin of the goods; or

(c) with intent to conceal the information given by or contained in the mark, alter, deface, remove or destroy a mark on imported goods made as required by the regulations made under subsection 19(2) of the Customs Tariff.

1993, c. 44, s. 106; 1997, c. 36, s. 191; 2001, c. 25, s. 81.

General offence and punishment

160. (1) Every person who contravenes section 11, 12, 13, 15 or 16, subsection 20(1), section 31 or 40, subsection 43(2), 95(1) or (3), 103(3) or 107(2) or section 153, 155, 156 or 159.1 or commits an offence under section 159 or knowingly contravenes an order referred to in subsection 107(11)

(a) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to a fine of not more than fifty thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both that fine and that imprisonment; or

(b) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to a fine of not more than five hundred thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to both that fine and that imprisonment.

Court order — subsection 43(2)

(2) If a person has been convicted by a court of an offence under subsection (1) for a contravention of subsection 43(2), the court may make any order that it considers appropriate in order to enforce compliance with that subsection.

R.S., 1985, c. 1 (2nd Supp.), s. 160; 1993, c. 25, s. 88, c. 44, s. 107; 2001, c. 25, s. 82.

Penalty for hindering an officer

160.1 Every person who contravenes section 153.1 is guilty of an offence and, in addition to any penalty otherwise provided, is liable on summary conviction to

(a) a fine of not less than $1,000 and not more than $25,000; or

(b) both a fine described in paragraph (a) and imprisonment for a term not exceeding twelve months.

2001, c. 17, s. 256.

Summary conviction offence and punishment

161. Every person who contravenes any of the provisions of this Act not otherwise provided for in section 160 is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to a fine of not more than twenty-five thousand dollars and not less than one thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both fine and imprisonment.

R.S., 1985, c. 1 (2nd Supp.), s. 161; 2001, c. 25, s. 83.
    Procedure

Venue

162. A prosecution for an offence under this Act may be instituted, heard, tried or determined in the place in which the offence was committed or in which the subject-matter of the prosecution arose or in any place in which the accused is apprehended or happens to be.

Limitation period in summary convictions

163. Proceedings may be instituted by way of summary conviction in respect of offences under this Act at any time within but not later than three years after the time when the subject-matter of the proceedings arose.

163.1 to 163.3 [Repealed, 2001, c. 32, s. 62]
    If one is to order steroids online from other countries and import it into Canada, it will fall under The Customs Act. What you do after with them might fall both into the Customs Act and Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. I have seen a trend of other forums discussing importation from overseas and other countries of AAS but no one wants to acknowledge the added level of seriousness in the matter.

Now I'm no lawyer but we got some pretty smart people here on CBB. I believe importation and trafficking can land you in a whole bunch of hot water. To the point where you can spend many years in a cell and probably ruin your life. My purpose is to educate. I am not the morality police and do not wish to be. But education (and entertainment) is what CBB is all about. These are the laws folks. I hope you choose wisely and stay safe so you can always sleep well at night and be a part of CBB.

I welcome comments, feedback and clarity on the matter. As I said, I am not a lawyer and some may have a better understanding then I on the matter or has something more to add.
    Last edited by MuSuLPhReAk; 02-08-2009 at 05:25 AM.

Canadian Bodybuilding Champ

good post MP.

"I'll wrap my dick around your neck and start you like a lawn mower"

Muscle Bound

Ouch. Some very serious stuff in there.

Bodybuilder

I think this is a great thread... People over look things like this.

A cycle and adding 5-20lbs of muscle is NOT worth prison time, EVER... in my opinion.
    Lift Heavy, Lift Hard, Learn to love the Pain...

Muscle Bound

sticky?

deleteduser0001

I have heard of people being busted for selling or importing with intent to sell (large quantities) but never for simple use or even importing for personal use....so who should this really worry?

doesn't bother me.

Muscle Bound

I think if you choose to let this "bother you" that is a personal choice.... what the intention was though is to educate people that there are consequences for importing this stuff.... people tend to think Canada has "lax" laws concerning importing these things but there are laws in place so all it takes is for someone to use these laws to send a message.....

good post MP

Twirp

Good post. Always good to have as much info on punishment when you contemplate breaking the law. It doesn't need to deter you, or bother you form anything you may do. Having the correct info up for everyone to see is def a valuable thing. Sticky

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
    sticky?

DONE!

Amateur

When you look at the customs decloration broshure at every Canadian airport they direct you to the canada healthboard website and it is ridiculous and almost imposible to find any information in laymans terms on importation of almost anything. Any good lawyer could get you cleared for impotation of personal use under three months but larger quantaties would be a different issue in my opinion.
    I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast